Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Deep thougts on Sisterly Love


Here is a picture of Haley and Aliyah in matching dresses that my Mom helped me make when Mishonne and Haley were that age. Every time I see my girls together it reminds me of me and my sister when we were younger in our matchy matchy dresses. Nicole and I are about the same difference in age as my girls all are. ONe thing that never changes it that the older sister is always looking out for the younger one. Sometimes it comes across as bossy. I see it when Mishonne tells Haley she is doing something incorrect and I tell her to take it easy and that Haley will get it with practice. I also see it when Haley wants to coddle Aliyah all the time instead of letting her explore and give her space. I just hope they learn to appreciate each other and their differences because someday they may not have their sister around to Boss.
My Dad once called me a "Fixer." I always want to fix things to make people happy. I am not sure if it is an older child syndrome or not and I am not sure it is a good thing. I constantly think,"well if he or she would just do this or not do that then they would be happy." I also think everyone should enjoy the gospel and what it has to offer. The problem I run into is that I can't make people's decisions for them and that is where being a "fixer" is frustrating.
I recently read the scripture that talks about not trying to fix the "mote" that is in thy brothers (or sisters) eye so much, but that we should concentrate on pulling the beam out of our own eye. This made me stop and think. I am guilty of judging others and trying to constantly in my mind decide what would be best for them. I forget that I have LOTS to work on myself. It will probably take me the rest of my life to acheive being the kind of person I want to be. THank goodness I have a wonderful husband and the Savior to help me out when I mess up. So if I ever happen to pull my "fixing behavior" on you just take it with a grain of salt and know that I mean well.

No comments: